Thursday, September 12, 2013

Life Is Just Easier That Way

A good friend of mine recently told me, life is just easier when you live out of a duffel bag. I tend to whole heartedly agree. There are so many pros to living on the go. There are so many adventures to be had, and a million more people to meet. You can live a million lifetimes with only three pairs of clothes.

There are some negatives though. No matter what anyone says there is just no place like....your own bed. Which leads me to my next adventure.

When I was a sophomore in college the most exciting thing in my life (at the moment) was getting an apartment! I had two other roommates and we found the perfect place. It was a cute little apartment, three bedrooms, walking distance from school, and near many good friends. It was also 100% able to flood. The day we were moving our clothes and ourselves in was the day we lost our little apartment to about six feet of flood water. The water rose so high it lifted the refrigerator on top of the counter tops. My roommates and I lost our beds, our desks, and many, many other valuable things.

Luckily, one of my roommates had a wonderful boyfriend. He literally rode a mattress in and out of the flooding apartment saving as much of our stuff as he could until we could get there. The next few hours we spent finding a new place to live. Our next apartment was on a hill.

Once we found it one of my roommates and myself decided to stay there without furniture, clothes, or beds. We did this to try and get everything situated for the new place. Those days were hard for me, but you know what? The hardest part was not having a bed. My roommate and I slept on a queen sized air mattress in our empty apartment for almost a week. I hated it. It was the first and only time I'd ever been homesick.

This story has a happy ending. The new apartment had turned out better than we had ever hoped. My roommate and I had formed an even stronger friendship, and I ended up with the most wonderful bed in the whole world. My new bed had memory foam, and a pillow top, and it was just luxurious.

The moral of this one is that no matter where you go or what happens, sometimes you need that safe place to escape to. For me it has always been my bed, and I will forever have a bed to come home to.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The reason I took up blogging was to make new friends and share my stories. I would love to hear what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...