Monday, February 24, 2014

Be Cheap, WILL Travel

I'm cheap. No seriously, I am a cheap person. I won't spend more than four dollars on a shirt, and I've actually considered charging my parents every time I drive them somewhere. Obviously I have more respect for my elders than to do that, but my cheapness is still pretty severe.

It's a running joke that I will probably end up killing myself saving for a trip. I once refused to pay for a prescription that I needed because I was in the middle of setting a budget for a vacation. I'm hardcore like that...or stupid. To each his own.

Here are some ways to save money for trips.

  • Buy second hand clothes. Go to a Goodwill or Good Samaritans and browse the racks. When I went to the UK all my clothes were brand new and under $5. I promise if you take the time to go through the clothes you will find really good quality stuff for CHEAP.
  • Another reason for second hand clothes is that if you run out of room in your suitcase when it's time to come back home throw them away, or donate them. You then have plenty of space for souvenirs. They were only $5 max, get rid of them and feel no remorse. Avoiding extra luggage fees is a breeze this way.
  • Buy clothes you can wear a million ways. Even if they are more than $5, average out how many ways you can wear that piece of clothing and it will be worth it. For example I bought a dress you could wear many different ways. I wore it as a day dress, a shirt, an evening dress...etc.
  • Pack everything into one carry on bag. That way you can avoid luggage fees at ALL costs. If the bag becomes too big or heavy it instantly becomes your one free check bag.

Here are some ways to save money on your trip.

  • You know that free breakfast from the hotel? Turn it into a free lunch! Make sure you pack Ziploc bags so you can shove croissants in your bag for later. (This one saved me in Italy.)
  • Buy maps as souvenirs. Not only can you use them to get around, but they are a great way to showcase the places you went. Then give them as a gift when you get home. If you want more information on how to get everything out of a map you can. Look at my post on Top 10 Things I Can't Travel Without
  • Go to local delis to buy food during the day. Stay away from restaurants except for dinner. Food is cheaper at non touristy food markets. Don't skimp on fancy dinners though. You're going for the experience, make the most of it. Just use the money you've saved from the cheaper meals.
  • If you're in Europe take the trains. You can see everything you wanted to see for a fraction of a tour price. There are always tons of lovely people to help you figure out where you're going. Some of them are even paid to help you.

There are so many ways to help build your savings for a trip or vacation. Do you have any travel tested money savers? I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The reason I took up blogging was to make new friends and share my stories. I would love to hear what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...