Thursday, February 13, 2014

Pre-Wedding Zombies

Warning: Not actually about zombies, but much other scarier things.

When I agreed to be a bridesmaid for a good friend of mine, I wish I had known what all would transpire the two days before the wedding before I agreed to it.

Prior to taking you to those days, let me first tell you how we ended up in the location of this story...
The bride was getting married in a town a few hours from not only where I lived, but states away from other bridesmaids. Since we all wanted to be there for her as much as possible, we ended up staying in the same place. (In comes the lovely southern hospitality I've grown up with.)

The day we all arrived for the wedding festivities we found out that myself, another bridesmaid/roommate, and the bride would all be staying in a house together. I use the term house lightly...because in all honesty it was closer to a mansion. A very questionably decorated mansion.

Upon arrival we were told that we would have the house all to ourselves. The owners would be staying at another property of theirs. There was only one rule to staying in this house, Do Not Enter the room with the closed doors upstairs. (I'm not making this up)

We were very appreciative of the offering to let us essentially have their home while we were in town for the wedding. That was until we walked in our first night...

The grandeur of the house was unmistakable. There were several grand dining rooms, a huge kitchen, and multiple living areas. But still...there was something that just wasn't quite right.

The decorations were the first things to throw off a hint of unusual. As soon as you entered the foyer to head upstairs, hanging on the wall next to the steps were christening dresses that look to be from the 1800s. Alright...no biggie, old school dead people dresses on the walls. We continued upstairs to find photos that were literally from the 1800s. You know the ones. The pictures where they don't smile and stare hauntingly out of the photos? Yeah...those were next to the beds. I chose my room quickly...hoping it was the least creepy room. I was wrong.

Once I was alone and unpacking my stuff I turned around to find the MOST TERRIFYING DOLL IN THE WORLD STARING AT ME! It was sitting in a child sized rocking chair strategically placed to face directly at the bed.

Creepy Terrifying Doll (found sitting on a chair staring at the bed)

I unknowingly started screaming things like HOLY JESUS!, and IT'S GOING TO EAT ME! I only stopped when the bride and other bridesmaid came in to see what the commotion was about. They had the same reaction I did. 

There was only one way to fix the problem. Hide the doll. That's all we wanted to do. Hide the doll. Where could we put it though? We all had the same thought at the same time. We would hide it in the room we weren't supposed to go in.

After a thorough tour of the house we decided to spend as much time as possible outside on the patio. To keep us company we invited others of the wedding party to come over for a late night board game. We should have known that wouldn't be the end of it.

During the game I was sitting on a bench with the bride, we were separated only by a pillow. While playing, I noticed something unusual was happening. Inside the pillow something was moving. I was so exhausted I wrote it off as a symptom of my lack of sleep... Until it moved again.

I then, very calmly, told the bride the pillow was moving. As luck would have it, as soon as she looked down it moved again. We jumped up simultaneously as fast as possible while screaming.

It turns out that the bride had had a previously very similar scarring event happen to her involving a snake and plastic covering in a garden. She immediately burst into tears once she was far enough away, prompting the people who were playing the game with us to throw the pillow to the ground and exiled it to the other side of the patio until the end of the night.

What ever was causing the pillow to move is still a mystery to this day.

I know what you're thinking. What about the "Do Not Enter Room"? What was in there? Nothing was in there...that we saw. Of course after being told not to go in there, one of the first things we did was check it for dead bodies.

Although something peculiar did happen involving the room. The morning after the doll incident we ran out of toilet paper, and I took it upon myself to go through the house to find some (dragging the bride along with me.) There was none to be found anywhere in the permitted areas and I was desperate so we went into the Do Not Enter room. I went first into the room and then into the bathroom searching for toilet paper. It was only then that I discovered that the shower was wet. No big deal right? WRONG. We were the only ones in the house for the past 12+ hours and none of us had even been in that bathroom. I looked to the bride and said "Why is the shower wet?!? No one's been in here!" There was no explanation so we got out, QUICKLY.

Most of the things that happened to us we wrote off as silly superstition, but some things in that house were undeniably creepy. Things such as the doll head on display in one of the living rooms, the six fish tanks randomly found through out the house, the ceramic angels designed to "watch over you" as you used the bathroom, OH! and the child's crib that was strategically stored underneath the bed in my room!

To say I was relieved to leave that house the day of the wedding is an understatement. What I took from this adventure is that you should always be grateful for the hospitality of others, but that doesn't mean you should always take it.

1 comment:

  1. Good times! Actually no, really terrifyng times, but at least we were all there together.

    ReplyDelete

The reason I took up blogging was to make new friends and share my stories. I would love to hear what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...