Saturday, February 22, 2014

The Beauty of Tea Cups (My Cup Stories)

I like my tea like I like my men....existent. 


I am eternally in love with tea cups or mugs, depending on how you label your cups. They are brave little pieces of dishery, and there is nothing you can't do with a good cup. They can be used for organization, in place of a bowl, as a cleaning cup for painting, a holy grail for Oreos and milk, and simply for tea. These are just a few of my most used cups and the ones that I think best describe me. Most of my lovelies were found at second hand shops. Some I traveled long distances for, and a select few are gifts from loved ones.

All of my cups have a story behind them. Some of the stories are far more exciting than others but they're all still special to me. Here are a few of their back stories.


The story behind this cup starts with the trip. When I was just a freshman in college I had the opportunity to go with a group of people in my major to a huge annual convention in Chicago. Of course I was game. What could go wrong? There were eight of us and only two old enough to legally drive the rental cars. 

Everything was going smoothly until we unknowingly drove into a snow storm. Our original eight hour road trip took about 12 hours. When we finally arrived in Chicago we were lost. We were so lost in fact that our group stopped and asked a homeless man for directions, who promptly demanded money for his services. If I remember correctly it took us over an hour to find a hotel that was only two blocks away.

The day I purchased this cup was on a particularly snowy day. (one day after Chicago experienced a blizzard) Our group was intent on seeing the sights while we were there and once we spotted the NBC studios it was a "must see." That's when I saw this cup and couldn't leave it. Now it lives in the cup cabinet.


At first glance this cup is nothing special, and that's okay. I rescued this cup from a second hand shop for just 50 cents. I bought with my 1950's tea kettle that I use religiously. This one is my favorite cup. It's not my favorite because of how it looks, or where it came from.

I recently moved away from home for a job. I knew when I took the job that it was only temporary. I packed up my car with clothes, one plate, a set of forks and spoons, my tea kettle, and this little cup. I had a tough time moving away and some days my only comfort was a cup of tea in my little cup. Not only did it comfort me with tea, and sometimes drinks a bit stronger, but it was my only bowl too. I spent a lot of time with this cup. Now if I need extra comfort after a hard day, it's the first thing I reach for.


If you're a Doctor Who fan like I am you already know what this is. If you're not, I'll do my best to explain. This is a Tardis cup from Doctor Who. Doctor Who is a time lord that travels through space and time in a ship that he "borrowed." That ship is the Tardis. If you want more details watch the show...seriously.

Back to where/why I have this one. This is a gift from my lovely mom. We recently went on a trip to explore England, Scotland, and Wales. We were in Wales just a few days before the Doctor Who 50th anniversary. Unfortunately we did not get enough time in the country to explore all of the festivities and I was pretty bummed. On Christmas day, I woke up and with my family started opening gifts. I'm probably really understating here but when I saw this box I was VERY excited. It even comes with a lid! It's a brilliant representation of the Tardis, and I love how nerdy I feel drinking out of it. My mom got me this cup because of my love for Doctor Who and because of our recent trip to the UK.

Yes it is square. Yes, it does sometimes cause drinking confusion.

I love cups. They are just one of many things I collect. Do you have a tea cup collection or am I alone on this one?




No comments:

Post a Comment

The reason I took up blogging was to make new friends and share my stories. I would love to hear what you have to say.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...